|“||You hope for things, you get disappointed.||”|
When Maya's artwork is featured at a school event, Riley sees it as an opportunity to help Maya mend her relationship with her mother. Meanwhile, Cory and Topanga get a surprise visit from their childhood friend, Minkus.
The episode starts at school, with Farkle walking into art class, wearing a robe. He moves the fruit from the center of the class, and states that they should draw "a real piece of art." He takes off his robe, much to the disgust of Maya and Riley.
Riley questions why they are not drawing Lucas, and Ms. Kossal states that nobody looks like that and they should get used to someone similar to Farkle. She then says that when drawing him, they should start with the eyes, Farkle poses, showing off his "guns." Riley sees Maya's drawing and repeats what the teacher said, that they were meant to start with the eyes. Maya tells Riley that her problem is that she does not listen. Maya then informs Riley that she is drawing Lucas. Riley is convinced that she and Lucas will be part of the Paris Art Scene when they grow up, and Maya makes fun of her with a drawing over her speech. Seeing her drawing of Farkle as a baby bird in a nest, Ms. Kossal urges Maya to enter her work in an upcoming school art exhibit, but she declines the offer.
- Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Sabrina Carpenter as Maya Hart
- Peyton Meyer as Lucas Friar
- August Maturo as Auggie Matthews
- Danielle Fishel as Topanga Matthews
- Corey Fogelmanis as Farkle Minkus
- Lee Norris as Stuart Minkus
- Cheryl Texiera as Katy Hart
- Aisha Kabia as Gabriella Kossal
- Sarah Carpenter as Sarah (Student 1)
[Maya's mother, Katy, arrives.]
Lucas: Your name is Farkle Minkus?
Maya: Lemme paint you something.
Topanga: Hey, Riley!
Riley: Do I need help?
Farkle: I'm a bird to you?
Farkle: You love me.
Cory: Your mom's hips don't lie.
Riley: Bonjour, Lucas.
Riley: Get out of my way.
Riley: Did you think I wouldn't hunt you down?
Katy: Riley, what does your dad do for a living?
- Riley refers to as her mother, who dances by shaking her hips, as Shakira. In the Disney Channel Universe, international pop star Shakira is actually Kelbo Russo from Wizards of Waverly Place.
- In an interview, Peyton Meyer (Lucas) said this episode was the episode he most liked to film, and he really wanted to see it premiere.
- When Lucas was speaking to Riley in French, he said, "Peut être vous et moi serons à Paris ensemble." Translated into English, it means, "Maybe you and I will be in Paris together."
- Farkle's last name is revealed as Minkus.
- Farkle's self-description of "48 pounds of nasty" is a reference to when Cory described Farkle's father, Minkus, as "48 pounds of near-sighted geek," in the Boy Meets World episode "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not."
- Stuart Minkus is the fourth BMW character to appear in GMW
- In this episode, Cory shows Riley his talent as a magician. In the Boy Meets World season two episode "Band on the Run," when some girls in Chubbie's think Cory and Shawn are musicians (which Cory mishears as magicians), he tells them that he can pull a rabbit out of a hat.
- The "A" rivalry between Minkus and Topanga continues from Boy Meets World.
- This episode aired at 9:45 pm instead of 8:30 pm, due to the premiere of the new DCOM, How to Build a Better Boy.
- This episode introduces Maya's Mother, Katy Hart played by Cheryl Texiera.
- In another parallel between Shawn and Maya, Maya's parent is introduced due to Career Day (albeit showing up a day late, while Chet showed up on time). In each case, the parent is introduced by telling the class a tall tale.
- Career Day (in a BMW episode of the same title) is also what introduced the first incarnation (played by Monkee Peter Tork) of Topanga's father, Jedidiah because he is later portrayed with two different actors.
- This episodes implies that Farkle was mistaken in "Girl Meets Father" when he celebrated his 700th 'A,' as the conversation between Topanga and Minkus clearly indicates that he must have received his 500th 'A' on that occasion.
- Riley trying to figure out what was special about her is a reference to the Boy Meets World episode "Better Than the Average Cory" when Cory thought he was average, and Riley telling Auggie that they've been lying to him about how great his drawings were, like when Cory told his sister to give up on her drawings.
- Katy's place of work, the Nighthawk Diner, is named for a famous painting by Edward Hopper called "Nighthawks," featuring a late night diner scene painted in 1942.
- Previously, Cory favored form of potatoes was scalloped, but (possibly due to the messy breakup with his first girlfriend, Wendy Jansen) he now prefers them mashed.
- This is the second most-watched episode of the show, the first being Girl Meets World.
- For the Afterbuzz TV review of this episode click here.
- At the end of the episode, Riley and Topanga are tied with Farkle and Stuart in the "A" competition
- September 12, 2014 (Canada)
- October 4, 2014 (Latin America, Brazil)
- October 6, 2014 (Australia)
- October 17, 2014 (UK and Ireland)
- December 7, 2014 (France)
- December 20, 2014 (Czech Republic, Hungary, Middle East, Africa)
- December 21, 2014 (Romania, Bulgaria)
- December 27, 2014 (Poland)
- January 18, 2015 (Italy)
- February 5, 2015 (Israel)
- February 27, 2015 (Spain, Portugal)
- March 8, 2015 (Japan)
- May 19, 2015 (Germany)
- August 16, 2016 (Philippines)
| The image gallery for Girl Meets Maya's Mother may be viewed here.
| To view the Girl Meets Maya's Mother transcript, click here.